My Learning Centre

Poster 

I tried to make my poster mostly visual, as I know this strategy is much more effective than text.  Predominantly, I placed photographs on my poster. Not only are images good at grabbing people’s attention, but I think Zahra Kazemi’s photographs said more about her than any written information could.

I made sure to include some written information so that those wanting to spend more time at my display would have additional resources. I pasted a timeline on my poster composed of alternating photographs of Zahra Kazemi and information sections. This I formatted into what I tried to make look like a negative strip to match with the photography theme.

My poster and display

My poster and display

Display

On my table, I placed some objects I thought represented important parts of her life or philosophy. I wrote a description for each in addition to a paragraph on her legacy. Here is a summary of the objects and descriptions.

a)      Canadian flag: Though she was born in Iran, she considered herself a Canadian National, not an Iranian one.

b)      Camera: her camera was of course a major part of her career. My dad’s old analogue camera was also probably quite similar to the camera she used as she chose a very basic $1, 000 model compared to the $10,000 many photojournalists spend on equipment.

c)      Vase with flowers: She was always short of money because she took photographs of the storied she thought were important to tell, not necessarily those that sold. Thus, she created hand-made postcards of her work to sell at the local flower shop.  

d)      Map: For the table cloth, I used a Peters Map. As she was very alternative in her views and in search of “truth,” I guessed that this was something she may have supported. The map, of course, also represented her travel around the world for photojournalism and her dedication to making a difference in the lives of people on every continent.

e)      Food: I brought halva: an Iranian desert. Though she may have identified herself as Canadian, she grew up in Iran and I am sure still enjoyed Iranian food.

Hands-on Activity

For a hands-on activity, I left out postcards for people to write to Zahra Kazemi’s son: Stephan Kazemi. These I made from her photographs as a reference to the postcards she herself created (mentioned above). I wanted them addressed to her son for several reasons. By having people write about what they thought of Zahra Kazemi, I was honouring his mother and his own struggle to find justice for her. At the same time, it also showed him just how much his help made a difference to my project. Eleven people ended up writing postcards and I hope that when Stephan Kazemi receives them, they will make him very happy.

My postcards, camera, and food

My postcards, camera, food, and timeline

2 thoughts on “My Learning Centre

1. Pingback: Eminent Person Wrap Up & Student Examples | Mr. Jackson's Blogosphere

2. Pingback: Eminent Person Wrap Up & Student Examples | Adventures in a Gifted Classroom